Felt like eating kung bao chicken so google searched for a recipe and picked the first one. I doubled everything in the recipe because 3 drumsticks is not enough for 4 people. Recipe is actually quite good. Only thing I would have changed would be the fry the dried red chilli in the wok before adding in the oil, garlic and ginger to get more flavour out of them. The garlic and ginger tend to burn rather quickly giving you less time to get the aroma out of the chillies. I’m not sure why but in her photos the chilli’s are still red and smooth looking. Nevertheless the taste was still great!
Recipe Taken from: rasa malaysia
- 1 1/2 boneless & skinless chicken breast (or 3 boneless & skinless chicken drumsticks)
- 3 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 8-12 dried red chilies (deseeded and cut into halves)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 5 slices peeled fresh ginger
- 2 gloves garlic (sliced diagonally)
- 1 stalk scallion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
Method Prep: ? minutes | Cook: ? minutes | Serves: ?
- Cut the chicken meat into small cubes, rinse in water, pat dry with water and marinate with the ingredients above for 30 minutes.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat up a wok with one tablespoon cooking oil and stir-fry the marinated chicken until they are 70% cook. Dish out and set aside.
- Clean the wok and add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of cooking oil until it smokes.
- Add in the ginger and garlic slices and do a quick stir before adding in the dried red chilies.
- Stir fry the dried red chilies until aromatic and they smell spicy, then add in the chicken meat.
- Do a quick stir before adding in the roasted peanuts and continue to stir a few times.
- Add in the sauce and stir continuously until the chicken meat is nicely coated with the sauce.
- Add in the scallions and stir evenly.
- Dish out and serve hot with steamed white rice.